Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Día de los Muertos (2010)

The adventures of our honeymoon (2010). Don't worry, it's rated G :]
The next morning (Oct. 31st), we headed to the airport destination: Cozumel, Mexico. I’ll make a long story short and zip us to Mexico. When we exited the plane, I was utterly shocked. There were stark white faces peering out at us, along with military personnel (and dog). I stared for a moment until I realized that these “living dead” was airport staff. We entered the line to go through customs and we had a dark angel (literally) lead us through each step of the process. I will say that Mexican Customs gets you into the country MUCH faster than U.S. Customs. They are also more courteous than our fellow Americans. 
Elaborately decorated skulls (including sugar skulls) are made for the day. It is said that the marigold flower symbolizes the rays of the sun, which is associated with life, so the deceased have not lost their place in the universe.

I was living the dream... I had been talking nonstop of seeing all of the Dia de los Muertos festivities… I had no idea that the locals would be dressed up at the airport. Heck, in the U.S., that would get you arrested, pat searched and most likely anally probed (and that’s just for starters).  But the airport was just the beginning.  I won’t go into excruciating detail about our stay in Mexico, but I will mention the most exciting event we attended: X-CARET! Not only were there MANY activities to keep entertained with, but they decorated every inch of that park.

Click on the slide!

I will say if you ever find yourself in Cozumel, drink a margarita for me at:


[[ Pictures taken by us ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment