Friday, October 21, 2011

Review: Haunts of Four Winds

"Join us on the haunted fourwinds grounds for our spooky halloween festivities. Ride down the haunted roads of Four Winds village on the haunted hay ride.
Trek through the creepy trails of the Dark Forest, and tour the ghost infested halls of Le Chateau Du Morte, if you dare!"

This taunting message is on their website along with the very artistic poster (shown above). So of course with a great website, I had a few expectations:
1. Scary (but not too scary)
2. Entertaining
3. Long lines

We arrived at the Faire a few minutes past 7 p.m. I told my husband, "We have to be there early so we don't have to wait in the long lines!" He told me that there wouldn't be lines due to all of the high school football games. I didn't believe him; he was right. Here in East Texas, high school football is king. All three of us were unsure where to go due to no staff at the doors (or noticeable signs). After we found the ticket booth, we decided to head to the Black Forest Trail first. We probably should have waited a bit longer due to the fact that it wasn't quite dark yet... lesson learned.


Black Forest Trail was by far the best attraction at the Faire. It was spooky, there were plenty of screams and laughs. I won't say what happens in the Forest (what happens in the Forest, stays in the Forest), but we had a blast. We should have waited like I said before because I could see the actors coming (well about 70% of the time). I also think the Forest is a bit too close to the road. We could see and hear the car pass by. Luckily it was only one, but I think on a busy night, it would completely ruin the Forest.
Overall grade: B+


Entrance to the Black Forest Trail
The haunted hayride was well.. let's just say, it was great for kids. There were a few jumpy spots, but overall it wasn't very good. The trailer scared me the most (it continually squeaked like my big behind was going to make it collapse). Overall grade: C

The Haunted Chateau was very small and honestly, not very scary either. I suppose I should have known when an 8-year old informed me so before I even entered. There was a small surprise at the ending, but I will let you find out for yourself. Overall grade: D-

Here is a list of Pros and Cons:

Pros
1. Horse guy (he came out of nowhere - beautiful horse though.. we were informed that he was a jousting horse in training by one of our fellow haunted hay riders).
2. Chainsaw Guy
3. Creepy woman (or man.. not sure).
4. Creepy drive to the Faire.
5. Actors were enthusiastic

Cons
1. Unorganized entrance - we weren't the only guests of the park to get confused as to where to go and purchase tickets, or where the amusements were.
2. Lack of crowd - this will be the first time I'll ever admit this.
3. NASTY and I mean nasty bathrooms... I refused to do my "business" there.
4. Riding with guests that already knew everything, the actors, etc.
5. The road (for vehicles) was too close to the Black Forest.
6. Haunted Chateau was smaller than my house (it was probably the size of my kitchen and living room).
7. Some bad timing and cheap costumes. My husband said that the chainsaw guy was a mixture of Halloween's Michael Myers and Chainsaw Massacre's leatherface.



Overall I think this place is a good haunt for kids.







The Faire is located on Hwy 110 in Troup, Texas.
It is open Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment